Pathways to Excellence: Experiences of Illuminating Women in Science#
Women in Science Symposium 2015#
YAE Press Release about the Women in Science Symposium
2015 is the International Year of Light. To celebrate this, the YAE will be hosting a symposium co-organized by SciLifeLab and co-sponsored by the Academia Europaea and Uppsala University to celebrate the accomplishments of illuminating women in science.
The focus of the symposium will be on gender issues facing women in science, both addressing the concerns of young scientists and also an examination of how these issues have developed over the past decades. Topics that will be covered (amongst others) include the changing face of gender aspects in science and technology, the gendered aspect of excellence initiatives, a comparative analysis of gendered disciplines in universities, and personal accounts of pathways to excellence.
Confirmed speakers include#
- Siv Andersson (Uppsala University)
- Margaret Buckingham (Institut Pasteur)
- Marie Farge (CNRS)
- Christina Florin (Stockholm University)
- Terri Kim (University of East London)
- Anna Krylov (University of Southern California)
- Marja Makarow (Academy of Finland)
- Annalisa Pastore (Kings College London)
- Kristín Vala Raganarsdóttir (University of Iceland)
- Vera T. Sos (Hungarian Academy of Sciences)
- Ulrike Tillman (Oxford University)
Further sessions will be chaired by#
- Liesbet Geris (KU Leuven)
- Lynn Kamerlin (Uppsala University)
- Liesbeth Venema (Nature)
- Gentiana Wenzel (University of Saarland)
- Nedjeljka Zagar (University of Ljubljana)
A welcome address will be presented by Eva Åkesson, the Vice-chancellor of Uppsala University. The full program will be published on this page in due time.
Agenda and venue#
The symposium will take place on 22 May 2015 at Uppsala University. Attendance is free of charge, but registration is required to allow us to prepare adequately for the symposium. Attendees are asked to register at http://yacadeuro.org/workshops/womeninscience2015.htm.
The registration deadline is 20 April 2015.