The scholarly interests of the Academia are managed through a class and section structure.
On election, all members are assigned to a section. At the present time there are twenty academic sections covering History & Archaeology; Classics & Oriental Studies; Linguistic Studies; Literary & Theatrical Studies; Musicology & History of Art & Architecture; Philosophy, Theology & Religious Studies; Behavioural Sciences; Social Sciences; Law; Economics, Business and Management Sciences; Mathematics; Informatics; Physics and Engineering Sciences; Chemical Sciences; Earth and Cosmic Sciences; Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; Cell Biology; Physiology and Medicine; Organismic and Evolutionary Biology; and Applied and Translational Biology.
Each section has a committee of its members to provide a focus for interaction with members. The chairs of the section committees are de facto members of the Council of the Academia Europaea.
Council appoints three representatives from its number to serve on the Board of Trustees. One member to act as liaison for Science Sections; the others to represent the Humanities and Independant members of Council respectively.
Section committees operate under rules of procedure and terms of reference.
Each section has the responsibility for identifying potential new members of the Academia and for developing activities of relevance to that domain.
For the purposes of nomination and election of new members to the Academy sections are grouped into one of four Classes. These are:
- Class A1 - Humanities and Arts Class Chair: Prof. Svend Erik Larsen, Deputy Class Chair: Professor Poul Holm
- Class A2 – Social and Related Sciences Class Chair: Prof. Anne Buttimer
- Class B – Exact Sciences Class Chair: Prof. Don Dingwell
- Class C – Life Sciences Class Chair: Prof. Alexei Verkhratsky, Deputy Class Chair: Professor Robert Zorec
Each Class has a Chair to coordinate the assessment process and develop the membership structure and composition policy in consultation with the Council and on behalf of the Board of Trustees.
See also how to become a member.
- The current list of Section Chairs and committee members (April 10, 2017)
- Section Committees: structure, management, objectives