The nomination period 2017 will open on December 1, 2016 and close on April 30, 2017.#
AE Nomination Form 2017
List of nominations
Detailed instruction on how to access the 2017 nominations of your section (only possible for authorized persons)
- Download the file by clicking on it.
- If you get the message "To view the full contents of this document, you need a later version of the PDF viewer. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader from www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html" although you do have the latest version of the Adope Reader, download the file by making the Ctrl-click (or right-click) on the link and select "Save as" or "Download" from the contextual menu (depending on which browser you use, you may also select "load linked data" or other wording).
- To fill the AE Nomination Form please use Adobe's PDF Reader Version 8 or higher. Note that current versions are already 10.x , so if the PDF's don't work for you please update your pdf Reader.
- If you cannot download the file, please contact office@AE-Info.org and the file will be sent to you and assistance will be provided.
- Downloading the nomination form: Download the file by clicking on it. Alternatively, you can save it by making Ctrl-click (or right-click) on the link and select "Save as" or "Download" from the contextual menu (depending on which browser you use, you may also select "load linked data" or other wording).
- Opening and filling the form: make sure that you open the nomination form using the Adobe Reader and not by means of the (default) MacOS "preview" application (i.e. the built-in PDF viewer).
General information about the nomination procedure 2017
- Before you consider nominating a new member, please make sure that the potential nominee is not already a member of Academia Europaea (and not just your section) and has not already been nominated. To do so click on "Show nominees of all sections sorted by alphabet" on the List of nominations. This might help to save your valuable time and helps avoid confusion when multiple nominations of the same person are made.
- For each candidate you want to nominate download the above AE Nomination Form and store it on your computer, best using the name of the candidate.
- You and one co-nominator have to fill out all fields marked * in the AE Nomination Form 2017. When complete, send it as attachment to an e.g. empty email to email@example.com by April 30, 2017, the latest. Attention: do not zip the file(s)!
- To be recognized as member of Academia Europaea, make sure that your name and email address correspond to the ones registered in the AE database (if in doubt, go to your personal AE web page).
- Submitting a form to the same section with exactly the same name for a candidate overwrites the previously uploaded form (i.e. later improvements are possible till the end of the nomination period).
- An automatic notification about a successful upload of the nomination is sent to the sender, the two nominators and the chair of the relevant section who also receives a copy of the nomination as attachment. Please note: the email addresses of the nominators have to be the same as the ones registered on the AE server (have a look at your personal page and amend as necessary).
- The nomination form does not allow any attachments. Nominators are free to send additional information on candidates to their section chair, who in turn can pass them on to the members of the section committee.
- Nominees (candidates) can be involved in the nomination processing by being asked to fill out the personal parts of the AE Nominatiom Form 2016, but they need not be informed about their nomination (to avoid disappointment when not being accepted, or to provide a positive surprise if accepted)
- Two nominators (and only two) nominators are obligatory. One of them has to be resident in a different country from the country to the candidate, both nominators must be ordinary members. (NOTE: foreign members, honorary members and patrons are NOT ordinary members and hence cannot nominate candidates)
- The full list of nominees is made available to members of Section committees and to Class chairs. The list of nominees (names only) in a section is visible to all section members. Full dossiers are accessible only to all authorized persons, i.e. the nominators of a person for the dossier of that person; the members of the section committee for all dossiers of their section.
- To view nominations submitted, go to the start page of www.ae-info.org, log in (right upper corner), click at the Nominations button (either left bottom corner or right upper part of page), then click at the "List of nominations". Here you can either view all nominations (names only) or choose the relevant section where you will find an alphabetic list of the nominees. Once you have opened a dossier (nomination) to get a good print-out click at the button "Show printer-friendly version" first. The nomination period ended at midnight (CET - Central European Time) on April 30, 2017.
Attention: no extensions of the deadline is possible!#
The President's List#
This is a specific mechanism. It is designed to enable the capture of those eminent scholars or personalities who, for whatever reason, may have been overlooked in the past, or where possible candidates do not fit the normal criteria for membership. The criteria can be found here and the form of nomination is the same as for other nominations (select "President's list" as the Section category). Nomination is made using the same form as for other candidates.
Evaluation of general candidates - election period 2017#
Each Section committee evaluates all candidates assigned to it and make recommendations on suitability for election. Sections have been aggregated into four Classes (Class 1 – Humanities [Sections A1, A2, A3, A4, A6 and A6] ; Class 2 – Social and related Sciences [Sections A7, A8, A9 and A10]; Class 3 – Exact Sciences [Sections B1, B2, B3, B4 and B5]; Class 4 – Life Sciences [Sections C1, C2, C3, C4 and C5], each with a Class chair.
- Each Section Committee will assess its own candidates against a set of eligibility and professional standing criteria and score according to this scheme:
- 1: Should be elected now;
- 2: Strong candidate;
- 3: Future contender;
- 4: Not electable.
- Each section chair will provide an assessment report for their nominations (including a ranked list of candidates) to the appropriate Class chair.
- The Class chairs then each convene separate Class meetings, to discuss (in pleno) and moderate the individual Section candidate lists. A single, consolidated list for each Class is then agreed and submitted to the Council for QA approval and a subsequent election is made by the Board of Trustees.
Nominations guidelines and criteria #
- Detailed description of the nominations guidelines and criteria (revised January 2015)